Joel is a partner Emeritus in the firm's Washington, DC office. Joel's practice concentrated on consumer financial services and consumer protection matters. He counseled businesses, including lenders, advertisers, auto finance companies, auto dealers, credit card companies, debt collectors, consumer reporting agencies, and others, in complying with federal consumer financial protection and privacy laws and regulations, including laws prohibiting unfair, deceptive or abusive practices. Joel represented clients in government investigations, examinations, and enforcement actions before federal agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and federal prudential regulators, and in other ancillary matters.
Joel is licensed to practice only in Michigan and his practice in the District of Columbia is limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies in accordance with D.C. Ct. App. R. 49(C)(2) and (3).
Prior to joining Hudson Cook, Joel was Vice President for Government Affairs and Chief Privacy Officer with ID Analytics, Inc. in San Diego, CA. He was responsible for government relations and corporate compliance with privacy and financial services laws.
From 2000 to 2005 and from 2009 to 2011, Joel was the Associate Director for the Division of Financial Practices with the Federal Trade Commission in Washington DC. Between 2005 and 2009 Joel was the Associate Director of the FTC's Division of Privacy & Identity Protection. He was the Assistant Director for the Division of Advertising Practices at the FTC from 1985 to 2000. Prior to these positions, Joel was a Staff Attorney with the FTC in Dallas TX and Washington DC.
Joel has extensive government and private sector experience in handling law enforcement investigations, consent negotiations, and litigation; rulemaking; public policy development; industry guidance; and consumer education. While at the FTC, among other honors, he was the recipient of a Presidential Rank Award of Meritorious Executive and the Chairman's Award, the FTC's highest award.
Joel received his B.A. and law degrees from the University of Michigan and is a member of the Michigan State Bar Association.
Member, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Consumer Financial Services Committee
Advisory Board Member and Leader, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
Member, American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
Member, Michigan State Bar Association
- "Regulatory Enforcement - A View from the Inside," National Association of Professional Background Screeners, May 2016
- "New and Developing Issues in Dealer Advertising,"2016 National Association of Dealer Counsel Conference
- "FTC Privacy and Security Alumni: Reflections and Insights," Privacy and Security Forum, October 2015
- "New Developments at the FTC," American Bank Counsel meeting, April 2015
- "FTC Regulatory Developments," 2015 National Automotive Finance Association Conference
- "Unfair, Deceptive and Abusive Practices and Effective Strategies for Responding to CFPB CIDs," 2014 Financial Service Centers of America Annual Conference
- "Government Investigations and Lessons Learned," 2014 Consumer Financial Services Association Annual Conference
- "Federal and State Legislative Panel: Collaborating with Associations in the Collection Space," 2013 American Fair Credit Council Annual Conference
- "What is the FTC Up to? Research and FTC Guidance on 'Up To' claims in Advertising," 2013 Marketing & Public Policy Conference
- "FTC Hikes Penalties for Law Violators," Hudson Cook Insights, October 2016
- "The Latest FTC Guidance on Making 'Clear and Conspicuous' Disclosures," Spot Delivery, July 2016
- "CFPB Takes Aim at Buy-Here, Pay-Here," Hudson Cook Insights, January 2016, co-authored with Allen H. Denson
- "Is There Anything Clear About 'Clear and Conspicuous'?" Spot Delivery, April 2015
- "When the "Fine Print" Isn't So Fine," Basis Points, March 2015
- "Preparing for the Advertising Police," F&I Showroom, October 2014
- "'Up To' Advertising Claims: The FTC Weighs In,' The Antitrust Source, October 2012
- "Consumer Protection Law Developments," American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, 2009 (treatise), co-editor
University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, J.D., 1976
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, B.A., 1973